Navigation Menu

Historic Sites

HeaderHistoric
Downtown Mocksville Historic District– In 1991, Downtown Mocksville was accepted into the Main Street Program, which is part of the National Register for Historic Places, and is designed to offer grassroots assistance to historic downtowns in their revitalization efforts. We were part of a pilot program especially designed for small downtowns with a population of less than 5,000.
In downtown Mocksville, antique, specialty and novelty gift shops occupy restored buildings, restaurants and offices are within easy strolling distance, and you can pause under the shade of our impressive four giant oak trees on the square.  Visitors and residents enjoy the craftsmanship of artisans on the square or travel out to newer shopping areas. Small shops and home-style restaurants are tucked away throughout the county with treasures just waiting to be discovered.

Joppa Cemetery is one of the oldest and most historic graveyards in Davie County. The burial grounds contain the graves of Squire and Sarah Boone, parents of Daniel Boone. Daniel Boone lived near Bear Creek during his teens and early twenties. A North Carolina historical marker notes the spot of the cemetery located on US 601 in Mocksville (Yadkinville Road.)

The Davie County Courthouse is a neo-classical revival style building, erected in 1909 in downtown Mocksville. The courthouse and accompanying jail were built at a cost of approximately $40,000. (They were built where the old Davie Hotel once stood.) The original courthouse was built in 1839 and stood in the center of the Town Square. The Courthouse is located on Main Street in Mocksville.

The former Davie County Jail was completed in 1839 and is now privately owned. It is one of two Federal style brick buildings which still survive in Mocksville. The jail served the county until 1909 when the new Courthouse and jail were built. The former jail is located on Main Street at the intersection of US Highway 601 and Highway 64.

The Cooleemee Plantation House was built 1853-1855 by Peter and Columbia Stuart Hairston, a sister of Civil War General J.E.B. Stuart. The site is one of the 33 National Historic Landmark sites in North Carolina. An Anglo-Grecian villa in the shape of a Greek cross, the house contains approximately 300,000 bricks made on site. The house is still owned and occupied by the Hairston family. The name came from the Kulimi Indian tribe that surrendered to Jesse Pearson at Cooleemee, Alabama in 1814 at the end of the War of 1812.

Visit the Mill Village Museum in Cooleemee and see first-hand what life was like in a Carolina cotton mill village, where the company owned the town and the people felt like “one big family.” Early 1900’s artifacts and rare photographs give a glimpse of the textile industry, which helped create the New South. Located in the historic Zachary House, home to former mill managers, the museum is near NC Highway 801 on Church Street. Hours are Wednesday-Saturday, 10am-4pm, Sunday, 2pm-4pm or call 336-284-6040 for tours by appointment.

Fulton Methodist Church was erected in 1888 and reflects a mix of Italianate and Gothic revival style details. The church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is located in the Fork community on US Highway 801 South.

The Cana Store is one of a few surviving late 1800’s commercial buildings in Davie County. James Harrison Cain established a mercantile business in Cana in 1875. In addition to the mercantile/country store until 1964, this building also served as the Cana Post Office from 1919 to 1954. The store still remains in the Cain family and is located on Cana Road off US Highway 601 North.

The Squire Boone Housesite was the 1829 birthplace of Hinton Rowan Helper. Helper was a Davie County man that held center stage in our history in the late 1850’s and whose book, The Impending Crisis of the South: How To Meet It was second to Uncle Tom’s Cabin as a literary work fueling the fires of secession and the Civil War. The house is one of the 33 National Historic Landmark sites in North Carolina.

Hodges Business College was erected in 1894 by Professor John Hodges. It is Davie County’s only surviving rural brick academy building. Hodges, a graduate of Duke and Yale Universities operated his school until the early 1900’s when he became the superintendent of county schools. The building, which is now privately owned, is located on Cherry Hill Road off Highway 601 South.

A highway marker was placed at the Ferebee family homesite on Hwy. 64 West near Hunting Creek in honor of Col. Thomas A. Ferebee. The nearby bridge is also named for him. Col. Ferebee was the bombadier on the B-29 “Enola Gay” and dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, August 6, 1945.

The Veterans’ Memorial Marker in the Town Square records the names of 346 Davie County men who died in military service from the Civil War to the present.

While crossing Davie County on a rainy day, February 7, 1781, General Cornwallis’ British Army crossed Dutchman Creek in pursuit of American General Nathanael Greene. This was the main crossing of Dutchman Creek toward Yadkin County until the early 1900’s. The old roadbed and rock are still visible in the creek. Legend says that Cornwallis dubbed the area Pudding Ridge because the quantity and thickness of the mud his army had to travel through was like pudding. There is a sign marking the crossing on Pudding Ridge Golf Course.

The Anderson Family Museum, Calahaln Road at Highway 64 West, houses an extensive collection of nineteenth and twentieth century medical, dental, family memorabilia and general artifacts.

The Pearson Graveyard, dating to the early 1700’s, was recently reclaimed from the surrounding forest by local volunteers. With extensive research by a group of Wake Forest University students, grave markers have been returned to or placed at their original sites.

The WinMock Barn - Named for its location, nine miles west of Winston-Salem and nine miles east of Mocksville, the WinMock Barn was part of the country estate built in the late 1920’s by S. Clay Williams, former president of RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co.  Historically known as Win-Mock Farm Dairy, the barn was once part of one of the largest dairies in NC with one of the biggest and best herds of Red Poll cattle in the country.  The barn’s unique architectural style features a dramatic 7,200 sq.ft. loft designed to hold over 7,000 bales of hay and is today one of the grandest and most opulent representatives of twentieth century farm buildings in Piedmont North Carolina.

Davie County Historic Sites in the National Register of Historic Places