History of Davie County
In the late 1740’s, settlers began migrating west of the Yadkin River. Davie County was formed from a portion of Rowan County in 1836. The county was named Davie in honor of William R. Davie, a Revolutionary War Leader, governor of North Carolina, minister to France and a leader in the founding of the University of North Carolina.
According to records, a small village named “Mocks Old Field” was in existence before the American Revolution. Even then, the area was considered to be centrally located on the main north-to-south and east-to-west routes of travel in North Carolina. Mocks Old Field was used frequently as a secret meeting place for Colonial forces and planners, some of whom were members of the family of Davie County’s most famous citizen, Daniel Boone.
Mocksville was incorporated in 1839. With today’s population of over 5000, Mocksville is the county seat and Davie’s largest town. Other incorporated towns in the county are Cooleemee, with over 950 residents and incorporated in 1985 and Bermuda Run, with over 1,700 residents and incorporated in 1999. Other townships include Sheffield-Calahaln, Smith Grove, Clarksville, Ijames, Fork, Advance, Farmington, Fulton, Jerusalem, Cana, Center, Hillsdale, Cornatzer, Bixby, and Shady Grove.
Find your place in Davie County History:
Each year hundreds visit our Davie County Public Library Martin/Wall History Room to trace their genealogy connections to Davie County. The room contains many volumes and reference materials and a very knowledgeable staff of historians. The library is located at 371 North Main Street, Mocksville and their phone number is 336-753-6030.